Tuesday, January 25, 2011

LITTLE PLEASURES

I love violets.  If I had the money, I'd have a whole row of them blooming on my windowsill at all times.  Not that they are all that expensive, but I admit I'm not that good with getting them to "keep on giving".  I have occasionally kept one for years and had it bloom and bloom again, but more often, something "happens" and it bites the dust (occasionally literally).  Usually I have a display something like what  I have now - one in bloom,  one green but not blooming and one clearly on its last legs. 

2 comments:

Zoya said...

I used to have a lot of them back in Australia. Violets are very easy to propogate - just break off a leaf close to the base of the plant and place it in a bit of water until tiny roots start to develop, plant in a pot and watch them grow. (good way to get few different ones if you have any friends with violets - most people don't mind giving a leaf or two).

I think last most flowering plants they need time to rest, so can't be flowering all the time.

When they die, do they go dry or actually look soggy? I occasionally used to over-water mine.

Tina in CT said...

I have about 5 violet plants but they have gotten too full and are growing funny. I am thinking of cutting apart, rerooting and tossing the other sections. Too bad you don't live nearby (but then I'd have to clean my house). I bought a pretty one over the weekend at the grocery store for $2.49.