Thursday, April 7, 2011

THE WYETHS



I know this is a terrible photo, but I didn't want to get in trouble for taking a photo in a museum; I just slipped the camera out of my bag and pretended to be a spy for a moment.
 
My mom and I went to Kalamazoo to see the Wyeth exhibit....paintngs of primarily the three famous Wyeths N.C., Andrew and Jamie.   Interesting how Andrew's paintings, while wonderful, are similarly wonderful to what we see in reproductions, whereas the big surprise was how gorgeous, engaging and powerful N.C. Wyeth's paintings are.  I just loved The Scottish Chiefs, which was actually an illustration for a book.  I've seen it in reproduction, but in person it was mesmerzing.  I didn't want to leave it.

I grew up with "Christina's World" on the wall of our living room.  You can look at A. Wyeth's paintings forever and not get enough.  And Jamie's are equally wonderful.  In particular, there was one portrait of a Laotian refugee boy that just rooted me to the spot.  I saw in that face so much of what I see in my own boys.

1 comment:

Tina in CT said...

What a wonderful day. I know the feeling when my daughter and I went to the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston years ago to see the Monet exhibit.